Nightly/current build fails to start

Happy new year everyone!

I’ve been away from my PC for a couple of weeks so haven’t been using Avogadro itself during that time. I tried compiling today with the various commits that have been made over the Christmas/New Year period and only get a segfault when launching now.

The nightly AppImage does the same, while the 1.98.1 AppImage works fine, so it doesn’t seem to be distro/dependency related.

log.txt (8.3 KB)

I’ve attached the terminal output. @ghutchis The main thing I notice being different is all the checks for Python, which I assume is part of your recent work on the interpreter/environment selection interface. I’m not quite sure why /opt is being checked for Python so often, and I also notice that when Python is not found at /opt/hostedtoolcache/Python/3.11.7/x64/bin/python3 the fallback is to try python in the system Path, whereas on many Linux distros including mine the Python executable is python3. Don’t know if that’s relevant.

I tried deleting the config file and removing the plugins folder but both to no avail.

Any ideas?

I’m also still unclear if there’s a way to launch Avogadro in verbose or debug mode to get any more info.

Obviously that’s bad. Can you get a backtrace in gdb?

If a path to Python isn’t set, it will fall back to the path used during compile (e.g., /opt/hostedtoolcache on the GitHub builds). Your point about python3 is a good one.

If the program is crashing you can run with gdb [path-to-avogadro2] and then run at the first prompt. When it crashes, you can type bt to get a backtrace.

This works best in a Debug compile, but the default RelWithDebInfo should still be useful.

gdb.txt (6.8 KB)
Above is the output when running via gdb.

After typing bt, the following is printed:

#0  0x00007ffff7027aff in  () at /lib64/libQt5Widgets.so.5
#1  0x00007ffff702c8dd in QHeaderView::setSectionResizeMode(int, QHeaderView::ResizeMode) ()
    at /lib64/libQt5Widgets.so.5
#2  0x000000000041e3d4 in Avogadro::MainWindow::setupInterface() (this=0x7fffffffd140)
    at /home/abc/avo/openchemistry/avogadroapp/avogadro/mainwindow.cpp:459
#3  0x000000000041d297 in Avogadro::MainWindow::MainWindow(QStringList const&, bool)
    (this=0x7fffffffd140, fileNames=..., disableSettings=false)
    at /home/abc/avo/openchemistry/avogadroapp/avogadro/mainwindow.cpp:301
#4  0x000000000041a634 in main(int, char**) (argc=1, argv=0x7fffffffd808)
    at /home/abc/avo/openchemistry/avogadroapp/avogadro/avogadro.cpp:245

Note that I didn’t even make a new build, I just rebuilt my existing, previously working Qt5 version after pulling from avogadrolibs/master and avogadroapp/master.

Can you remind me how to compile in debug mode? Sorry, I’ve forgotten how, and if memory serves, it was through setting an Avogadro-specific environment variable.

Okay, I can fix that - I know the problem, but I’m a bit surprised that my patch didn’t work.

1 Like

Let me know if this works for you:

That seems to work! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.