Zlib cmake error building avogadro-squared on ubuntu

Hi,

I just tried building avogadro using avogadro-squared
(https://github.com/cryos/avogadro-squared) on Kubuntu 9.10.

I cloned the repository, made a build dir and then ran cmake, with the
following results:

  • The C compiler identification is GNU
    – The CXX compiler identification is GNU
    – Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
    – Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc – works
    – Detecting C compiler ABI info
    – Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    – Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
    – Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ – works
    – Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
    – Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
    – Downloading file at build time: libxml2-2.7.8.tar.gz
    – Downloading file at build time: zlib-1.2.5.tar.gz
    – Downloading file at build time: qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.2.tar.gz
    – Looking for Q_WS_X11
    – Looking for Q_WS_X11 - found
    – Looking for Q_WS_WIN
    – Looking for Q_WS_WIN - not found.
    – Looking for Q_WS_QWS
    – Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found.
    – Looking for Q_WS_MAC
    – Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found.
    – Found Qt-Version 4.6.2 (using /usr/bin/qmake)
    – Looking for _POSIX_TIMERS
    – Looking for _POSIX_TIMERS - found
    CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:694 (message):
    Could not extract tarball filename from url:

    http://zlib.net/zlib-1.2.5.tar.gz;URL_MD5;c735eab2d659a96e5a594c9e8541ad63
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
    /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:941
    (_ep_add_download_command)
    cmake/External_zlib.cmake:31 (ExternalProject_Add)
    CMakeLists.txt:30 (include)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I looked in the top level CMakeLists.txt file and found the line:

option(USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB “Should we use the system zlib?” OFF)

So I changed that to ON, cleared out the build directory, and re-ran
cmake, and this time got the error message:

– Looking for _POSIX_TIMERS - found
– Found ZLIB: /usr/lib/libz.so
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:694 (message):
Could not extract tarball filename from url:

ftp://xmlsoft.org/libxml2/libxml2-2.7.8.tar.gz;URL_MD5;8127a65e8c3b08856093099b52599c86

Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:941
(_ep_add_download_command)
cmake/External_libxml2.cmake:38 (ExternalProject_Add)
CMakeLists.txt:41 (include)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Is this a cmake bug, a bug in the cmake files, or a bug with me. :wink:

Thanks,

Jens

Hi Jens,

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Jens linucks42@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I just tried building avogadro using avogadro-squared
(https://github.com/cryos/avogadro-squared) on Kubuntu 9.10.

Welcome back!

I cloned the repository, made a build dir and then ran cmake, with the
following results:

> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:694 (message): > Could not extract tarball filename from url: > > http://zlib.net/zlib-1.2.5.tar.gz;URL_MD5;c735eab2d659a96e5a594c9e8541ad63 > Call Stack (most recent call first): > /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:941 > (_ep_add_download_command) > cmake/External_zlib.cmake:31 (ExternalProject_Add) > CMakeLists.txt:30 (include) > It looks like a problem with the zlib URL, what version of CMake are you using there? I will take a look at this.

Marcus

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
mhanwell@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jens,

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Jens linucks42@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I just tried building avogadro using avogadro-squared
(https://github.com/cryos/avogadro-squared) on Kubuntu 9.10.

Welcome back!

I cloned the repository, made a build dir and then ran cmake, with the
following results:

> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:694 (message): > Could not extract tarball filename from url: > > http://zlib.net/zlib-1.2.5.tar.gz;URL_MD5;c735eab2d659a96e5a594c9e8541ad63 > Call Stack (most recent call first): > /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:941 > (_ep_add_download_command) > cmake/External_zlib.cmake:31 (ExternalProject_Add) > CMakeLists.txt:30 (include) > It looks like a problem with the zlib URL, what version of CMake are you using there? I will take a look at this.

I suspect you will be using an older version of CMake actually, one
that didn’t support checking the MD5 of downloaded files. If possible,
you could upgrade CMake, or failing that take out the MD5 arguments in
your local copy.

Marcus

Hey Marcus!

Many thanks for that.

I was using cmake 2.8.0. I downloaded the latest version (2.8.7) from
the website and built it from source and it then worked fine.

Maybe the required cmake version for avogadro-squared should be bumped
to stop prevent anyone else hitting this?

Best wishes,

Jens

On 4 January 2012 13:52, Marcus D. Hanwell mhanwell@gmail.com wrote:

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
mhanwell@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jens,

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Jens linucks42@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I just tried building avogadro using avogadro-squared
(https://github.com/cryos/avogadro-squared) on Kubuntu 9.10.

Welcome back!

I cloned the repository, made a build dir and then ran cmake, with the
following results:

> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:694 (message): > Could not extract tarball filename from url: > > http://zlib.net/zlib-1.2.5.tar.gz;URL_MD5;c735eab2d659a96e5a594c9e8541ad63 > Call Stack (most recent call first): > /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:941 > (_ep_add_download_command) > cmake/External_zlib.cmake:31 (ExternalProject_Add) > CMakeLists.txt:30 (include) > It looks like a problem with the zlib URL, what version of CMake are you using there? I will take a look at this.

I suspect you will be using an older version of CMake actually, one
that didn’t support checking the MD5 of downloaded files. If possible,
you could upgrade CMake, or failing that take out the MD5 arguments in
your local copy.

Marcus

Hi Jens,

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Jens linucks42@gmail.com wrote:

Hey Marcus!

Many thanks for that.

I was using cmake 2.8.0. I downloaded the latest version (2.8.7) from
the website and built it from source and it then worked fine.

Maybe the required cmake version for avogadro-squared should be bumped
to stop prevent anyone else hitting this?

Agreed - I will try to figure out which version added support for MD5
and bump it to that.

Marcus