Working on chromebook

Does anyone know how to work avogadro on a chromebook? I managed to download it but I can’t draw anything. None of my lab advisers know what the problem is or how to fix it.

I don’t know much about ChromeOS - when you try to run it, does it open the UI? (For example, it needs OpenGL to run and won’t launch if that’s not available.)

What version of Avogadro and what ChromeOS are you using?

The app opens but when I try to draw any molecules, nothing appears. I have tried everything, my advisor has compared my settings and everything to her’s and it’s identical as far as we can tell.

I’m using version 1.2 on a fully updated ChromeOS I believe.

I don’t know. We can’t support 1.2 anymore, and I don’t think I’ve heard of someone running it on Chrome before either. (Nice to know.)

I’d check to make sure that you’ve selected a rendering type, like “Balls and Sticks” that’s selected.

I’d also check if you open an existing molecular file whether you see something.

Otherwise, I’m not sure I can help much over a forum.

I do not have a ChromeBook…I tried it on the student’s ChromeBook about a year ago. In short, we used the Linux setup within ChromeOS. Within the Linux setup Avogadro2 will install very easily: Simply, in terminal: sudo apt-get install avogadro. - The original Avogadro is a bit more tricky. - The original Avogadro did not work with the Debian that comes within ChromeOS. One can either downgrade the distribution - not recommended…Or install wine (you may also need some file manager), followed by the installation of the Windows version of the original Avogadro. - I did not fully want to mess around with this. It was not my computer…Drawing, Energy optimization, visualization of IR spectra worked. - However, there may be hardware/storage limitations to this…