Trouble with DMG - Unidentified Developer

Was installing Avo2 on a bunch of student computers and the unidentified developer error was slowing us down. Wondering if this is fixable or if it is one of those ‘walled garden’ issues with Mac.

Environment Information

Avogadro version: 1.98.1
Operating system and version: Mac ventura 13.6.1

Expected Behavior

Avo2 Opens on Mac without using System Settings → Security and Privacy → Open Anyway

Actual Behavior

Must use System Settings → Security and Privacy → Open Anyway. Warnings about Unknown developer.

Steps to Reproduce

Please upload files if appropriate here (or via file-sharing service like Dropbox or Pastebin)

That’s weird. The GitHub builds should be signing releases with my Apple certificate.

Is this the release, nightly build, or from a pull request?

Also, is the warning coming from running the app or loading the DMG?

Trouble is when loading the DMG from Install — Avogadro 1.98.1 documentation

So to clarify, opening the DMG gives a message, but after that, running the program is fine?

I ask, because there are multiple signing steps for the program and for the DMG.
(And this is the Intel DMG, not the -arm64.dmg one, right?)

Yes, opening the DMG gives the message. I then go into settings and manually override this warning, and can then run the program.

Additionally, today a colleague has complained about getting a windows defender message on running the latest nightly build. Not sure if this could be a related error?

Just to check again … are these computers attached to the network? (There are multiple steps in terms of notarizing for Mac depending on online vs. offline computers)

Getting a code signing certificate for Windows is unfortunately exceedingly expensive. Every new binary will likely get a warning. Releases are less likely to trigger - once enough people have indicated a binary is “okay” Windows Defender will learn the fingerprint hash for that binary.