I believe this to be a bug with Avogadro

Environment Information

Avogadro version: 1.99 compiled
Operating system and version: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed 20240216

Expected Behavior

Actual Behavior

Seg fault during launch.

Steps to Reproduce

Nightly AppImage seems to launch just fine.

But compiling from source results in a broken binary. As well as avogadrolibs I made sure avogadroapp, avogadro-i18n and avogadrodata were up to date and still got the same result.

Traceback with gdb:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff5639af0 in vtable for __cxxabiv1::__si_class_type_info () at /lib64/libstdc++.so.6
#1  0x0000000000421583 in Avogadro::setDefaultViews(Avogadro::QtGui::MultiViewWidget*) (viewWidget=0xadbfe0)
    at ~/avo/openchemistry/avogadroapp/avogadro/mainwindow.cpp:583
#2  0x0000000000421b43 in Avogadro::MainWindow::setMolecule(Avogadro::QtGui::Molecule*)
    (this=0x7fffffffd860, mol=0xdce820) at ~/avo/openchemistry/avogadroapp/avogadro/mainwindow.cpp:635
#3  0x00000000004213b0 in Avogadro::MainWindow::newMolecule() (this=0x7fffffffd860)
    at ~/avo/openchemistry/avogadroapp/avogadro/mainwindow.cpp:559
#4  0x000000000041f44e in Avogadro::MainWindow::MainWindow(QStringList const&, bool)
    (this=0x7fffffffd860, fileNames=..., disableSettings=false)
    at ~/avo/openchemistry/avogadroapp/avogadro/mainwindow.cpp:314
#5  0x000000000041c636 in main(int, char**) (argc=1, argv=0x7fffffffdf28)
    at ~/avo/openchemistry/avogadroapp/avogadro/avogadro.cpp:311

Any ideas? Anyone else getting the same?

What do you mean by “broken binary”?

Are you sure you’re using HEAD?

Broken as in doesn’t launch. Exits with error code 139 and:

"Checking for formatScripts scripts in path /usr/share/OpenChemistry/Avogadro/formatScripts"
"Checking for formatScripts scripts in path ~/avo/qt5/prefix/bin/../lib64/avogadro2/scripts/formatScripts"
fish: Job 1, 'avogadro2' terminated by signal SIGSEGV (Address boundary error)

Yep, I am in sync with the master branches of my forks which are in turn up to date with the master branches of openchemistry/avogadrolibs and openchemistry/avogadroapp.

I’d suggest starting up in gdb avogadro2 starting with run and then bt when you get the crash.

Yes, I did that, see my original post :slight_smile:

I see the back trace, but it doesn’t make sense. This suggests a pointer issue, but it’s not obvious that anything particularly changed.

Can you “make clean” or “ninja clean” and rebuild?

Sadly didn’t help :frowning:

I thought it might be related to system libraries/updates but updating Tumbleweed didn’t change anything so probably not a bug there.

Seems to have fixed itself :man_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.