Saving animation of molecular rotation

Is there any possibility that Avogadro might save such rotation as a movie file or animated GIF etc?

Perhaps this is possible indirectly because you may export what you see either as .pov for PovRay, or as .vrml (e.g., import into blender). Blender (as program) occasionally is mentioned in the reports/lab classes in the Journal of Chemical Education, e.g., “Gaussian-2-Blender” in September 2021 by Emmanuel Echeverri-Jimenez and Maria Oliver-Hoyo, J. Chem. Educ. 2021, 98, 3348–3355 (doi 10.1021/acs.jchemed.1c00515) which may serve as inspiration.

For the quick generation of .gif, I still prefer Jmol (accessed from the program’s console) where animations are recorded by the capture format, and models moved/rotated/scaled by the move command. You may complement this youtube video by IIT Bombay 2015 (much more than a mere starter) with Jmol’s command reference.

Many Thanks- I am now happily importing pdb files and vrl files into blender for animation. I can even simulate mechanisms of reactions if I use the vrl format.

1 Like