Problem with Avogadro 1.1.0

Glad to know you find Avogadro useful!

First off, please send messages to the mailing list. I’m obviously not the only developer and it’s much better to share issues with the community.

A screen shot of your issue would be very helpful. I’m not really sure what you’re describing.

Why are you using Avogadro inside a VirtualBox? It’s incredibly hard for me to know what’s happening – it could be a bug with VirtualBox, with the Debian X11 or OpenGL driver, or Avogadro itself.

Are you using Windows as your native OS? If so, why don’t you download the Avogadro for Windows version? Even in the best case, interactivity and rending speed is going to be sub-par. Anything Avogadro renders has to go through the Debian graphics drivers then VirtualBox, then Windows before it hits actual hardware.

Thanks and best regards,
-Geoff

On Aug 8, 2013, at 12:14 PM, “Stephen P. Molnar” s.molnar@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I’m taking the liberty of writing you about a probllem that I have been encountering with Avogadro. Your email address was listed in http://avogadro.openmolecules.net/wiki/Credits.

I am using 64 bit Debian v 7.1.0 installation on a VirtualBox on my Laptop.

The Avogadro version available from Debian has several problems, the most vexing one is that the view window obscures part of the pull down menus. In addition to that problem, drawing atoms while constructing molecules produces sseparate atoms rather than a bond between the new atom and the previously drawn one.

In order to attempt to solve the problems, I downloaded the source code for Avogadro 1.0.0 and managed to successfully compile and install the program after adding a number of required dev libs to my computer. The program uses Open Babel 2.3.1 and Qt 4.8.2.

The drawing problem, however, persists.

i would greatly appreciate it if you might be able to suggest possible solutions to this problem. I have found Avogadro very useful for the genration of input files for MOPAC2012 and its predecessors.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry Stochastic and multivariate
www.FoundationForChemistry.com
(614)312-7528 (c)