Home   Manual

Exporting eps vs png: different style

Dear Avogadro Community,

I am trying to export my beautiful crystal into an eps file. It works fine with png (for some reason, very low-resolution): the colors are exactly the same as I see them in the Avogadro window, bright and glossy. But when I choose eps, the atoms look different: matte and dark instead. Is there anything I can do to have the same style for the eps file? Thank you in advance for any replies!

It may be difficult to include glossiness/shiny surfaces by programs (a recent compilation) into true vector formats.

Assuming you want to use the illustration for a poster, or a publication in a journal, determine the dimension of the illustration intended (e.g., how many centimetres or inches is the width of a single column). With 2.54 cm = 1 in in mind, determine the the number of pixels in this direction with the minimal resolution (dpi) set by the publisher (an example). Say, the figure is for a column of 8.85 cm (as by above style sheet); divided by 2.53 this equates to 3.48 inches, and if the minimum resolution is 400 dpi, the image to be prepared should be 1394 pixel wide.

The best approach now is to generate an illustration this wide. If the intermediate format e.g., is .pov of povray, you may adjust these dimensions of the illustration to be rendered. If it is a vector illustration (true .(e)ps or .pdf), you may scale this in e.g., inkscape and save it again (rescaled) in the format (preferentially again as vector file).

To Geoff Hutchison, the moderator: May this discussion board be enabled to accept small attachments like a .zip file, less than or equal to 2 MB in volume, to ease exchange of data intended for discussion?