Export molecule folder option

Hi there,

I have been using Avogadro2 for quite some time now. There is something that really slows me down. By default the export of a structure is into the previous folder that was used. I would like that you offer an option to export by default in the working folder.
Just let me know if I missed a setting that allows that and forgive me :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Fred

Right, because that’s how save dialogs on most platforms work.

I’m not actually sure there’s a good way for Avogadro code to change the default folder of the save dialog. On Mac, for example, it’s handled by the OS.

I understand your request … I’m just not sure there’s anything much we can change about how save / export dialogs work.

Ok I understand the point.
When one does “Save as” then the default folder is the working folder. Unfortunately I often want a .xyz or a .pdb. Should the export be instead a part of “Save As”?

No. We ran into a lot of headaches because people saved an XYZ or PDB and then complained when opening that the bonds, etc. were not retained. (Because XYZ and PDB don’t store everything.)

So we want there to be a clear UI distinction between “Save” (as CJSON, which retains everything) and “Export” (which may drop data).

I’ll look into the code difference between the “Save as” and “Export Molecule” dialogs. What OS are you using?

I’m using Ubuntu 22.04 :slight_smile: