Error message in saving animations

Hello,

I am trying to make animation using Avogadro 1.1.0 version. When I intend to
’save as .avi’ it gives an error message of ‘could not run povray’. I installed
povray in my laptop, but I don’t understand- how I can set up the PATH of
povray for saving animation. I am using Avogadro in windows 7. I would highly
appreciate- If anyone would help me. Thanks in advance.

best,
Mahbub

Md Mahbubul Islam
PhD candidate
Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA-16802
Cell Phone: 814-880-2356

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM, MD MAHBUBUL ISLAM mmi122@psu.edu wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to make animation using Avogadro 1.1.0 version. When I intend to
‘save as .avi’ it gives an error message of ‘could not run povray’. I
installed povray in my laptop, but I don’t understand- how I can set up the
PATH of povray for saving animation. I am using Avogadro in windows 7. I
would highly appreciate- If anyone would help me. Thanks in advance.

This was not as well tested on Windows, I will try to take a look at
this and see if we can ensure it works for the next release. I am not
sure if we exposed a way of changing the POV-Ray path, it has been a
while since I looked at this code.

Thanks for the report.

Marcus

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I loaded a multi-xyz file and try to save it as an .avi.
the common pov-ray error message appears. The problem is that avogadro tries to read from povray.exe, which does not exist in the latest versions. I created a povray.bat file, which loads the pvengine64.exe.

Also here: the initial installation at “Program Files” creates an error message, since avogadro does not read the space ----> I installed pov-ray in another directory => povray loads. However, I get multiple error messages and finally that “mencoder” cannot be run

Its a windows 11 PC and I am using the latest version of Avogadro QT 4.8.6

How can I make it work?

Cheers
Marcus

There’s no version of Avogadro 4.8.6. But that version of Qt tells me that you’re using Avogadro 1.2, for example.

Older versions of Avogadro rely on povray and mencoder (part of FFmpeg) to generate movies.

The Avogadro2 betas directly have code for encoding GIF and AVI animations, rather than relying on other programs: https://two.avogadro.cc/ (I recommend a nightly - it’s what I use directly.)

Thanks for the info! Didn’t know there was a second version.

Unfortunately it doesn’t recognize the ORCA output/log files with multiple xyz coordinates to produce a video. The version that did that automatically was 1.2.0 (the one in collaboration with ORCA). Is it just a renaming issue?

No. Orca contributed some code to Avogadro 1.2 that wasn’t merged into Open Babel and has not been updated to Avogadro2. I’ve asked for feedback / help on the Orca forum, but have not been able to discuss in detail with anyone in the Orca team.

I’ll post again on the Orca forum…

My biggest suggestion for a workaround would be to extract the XYZ geometries, e.g., using cclib and Avogadro2 should be able to animate.

If you have cclib installed in your Python environment, you can also install the avogadro-cclib extension in Avogadro and can read the output files directly.

I’m working on some patches to Open Babel, but don’t have a lot of free time at the moment.