Avogadro2 not working in OpenSuse 15.3

Trying to run Avogadro2 on Opensuse 15.3. I can get it to launch and run, but it does not run well at all. I have had to install the following environment variable to get it to launch:

export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=\usr\bin\avogadro2

When it launches, I can maybe get it to add one or two carbon atoms, but that’s about it. When I try and add the fourth carbon, it wants to put a hydrogen, moved from carbon #1, where I am trying to put a new carbon atom. And the add hydrogen option does not work. No hydrogens are added. This software is completely useless to us as it is currently installed.

I have also tried to use the Gaussian input generator on a simple molecule like ethane. It also generates an error as well and no input file is generated.

Can you be a bit more specific about what version you’re using and the error message you encounter with the Gaussian input generator?

In September 2021, Geoff published an AppImage for Linux which allows to work with Avogadro without interference with/dependency on package managers (without an installation) from the CLI by ./Avogadro2-x86_64.AppImage . Typically, the top bar of the frame is displayed initially, yet as soon as a tap with the mouse somewhere in the middle or lower third of the screen, the whole canvas of Avogadro becomes visible. Though this frozen version 1.95.1 might not include the latest bells and whistles, it is the one I run when reaching out for Avogadro in Debian 12/bookworm. You need about 81 MB of permanent storage for this executable.

May you report back if this one is working well enough for you?