Avogadro 1 and 2 No Longer Opening (Windows 10)

I’ve previously been able to run Avogadro (version 1.2.0n) and Avogadro v2 (version 1.90.0) successfully on my machine (Windows 10, Version 2004), but now neither can run with both freezing upon opening (with a “Not Running” indicator in the Task Manager).

Troubleshooting done thus far has been full reinstalls of both, reinstalls of Visual C++ (all libraries), applying compatibility mode (for Windows 7) to Avogadro v1, and enabling 32 bit applications via the Internet Information Services Manager. None of these have remedied the problem. Any suggestions?

Upon installing the latest windows version (20H2), both have been restored to their standard functionality, which is to say crashing if there is a stiff breeze.

I’m having the similar problem - despite having an abundance of compute power (CPU and GPU), Avogadro 1.2.0n is beach balling and crashing very frequently on Windows 10. Any suggestions? I used Avogadro successfully a few years ago on a Macbook and am hoping to pick it up again.

We for many reasons, we cannot maintain Avogadro 1.x. That’s why we’re working on Avogadro2.

You can try either the 1.95.1 release or the latest nightly build

Thank you, I’ve now tried the 1.95.1 and encountered a bug - I’ve posted a report in the dev channel. Thanks for working hard to upgrade this software suite, it is a very valuable open source project.