Avogadro 1.97.0 doesn't run on Windows 11 ARM

Hi,

Not really a complaint at all as it isn’t a big deal to me, but more of a heads up. Possibly you are already aware! In any case, it’s low down on the priority list.

I have a Surface Pro X that runs Windows 11 on ARM. Obviously only programs compiled for ARM run natively, but with Windows 11 it has support for emulation of both 32-bit and 64-bit x86 programs and generally the emulation works pretty well. Unfortunately Avo 1.97 doesn’t run - it just shows a completely white window (with titlebar) for a few seconds before disappearing. Changing between safe/strict emulation in the emulation settings didn’t help either.

I know you’ve been working on an arm64 version for Macs running on M1/M2, I don’t know enough about the architectures to know how transferable the code is.

Environment Information

Avogadro version: 1.97.0 (from Windows installer via two.avogadro.cc)
Operating system and version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 (build 22621.607)
PC: Surface Pro X SQ1, 8GB

I’d need to look into how to compile for ARM using Visual Studio. It’s going to be a bit tricky, since Qt (which we use for the GUI) only supports arm64 as a Windows target with the latest release: Qt for Windows | Qt 6.4

The Mac binaries are built here on my laptop / desktop.

In short, it should be possible, but it might take some time.

Fair enough, and I imagine migration to Qt 6 is something that isn’t even going to be thought about for several years.

The emulation in ARM Windows is normally pretty good (hasn’t failed me for anything else) so it might be easier just to work out why it isn’t running properly in emulation. Is there any way I can debug by starting it in powershell or cmd or something?

No, we’ll probably do it soon … just after we get 2.0 released. At that point, it shouldn’t be too hard to update (e.g. for 2.1).

Possibly. At the very least, we’d know at what point it crashed.