Avogadro 0.8.1 release - any blockers to release?

Hi,

Just planning the slightly delayed release of Avogadro 0.8.1. I think we have
managed to solve many of the big bugs. There are still a few remaining which
we could possibly fix in a 0.8.2 release. I do think it is important for us to
get a 0.8.1 release out of the door though. Unfortunately a few of the fixes
are actually in OpenBabel.

What bugs/issues do people feel need to be fixed (that haven’t already) before
a 0.8.1 release? I will be merging changes later on today and can certainly
merge a few extra commits in as and when required. It would be good to tag in
the next day or two, build some packages and have them ready for the weekend.

I will also turn my attention (as time permits) to documenting our tools,
engines and extensions on the wiki. I think Geoff has made a great start there
but will certainly need our help to flesh it out.

Thanks,

Marcus

On Jun 3, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:

I will also turn my attention (as time permits) to documenting our
tools,
engines and extensions on the wiki. I think Geoff has made a great
start there
but will certainly need our help to flesh it out.

For me, I think that’s one of the biggest issues. As these releases
gain wider use, we need to make it easy for users to adopt Avogadro
and new developers to come on board. I will try to take a stab at an
index of extensions tonight.

Thanks also to Tim for some nice screencasts!

Cheers,
-Geoff

I think that bug 1984080 is a blocker.

Unless, of course, it is just a local problem on my particular setup.

Cheers,
Benoit

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 23:42:47 Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:

On Jun 3, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:

I will also turn my attention (as time permits) to documenting our
tools,
engines and extensions on the wiki. I think Geoff has made a great
start there
but will certainly need our help to flesh it out.

For me, I think that’s one of the biggest issues. As these releases
gain wider use, we need to make it easy for users to adopt Avogadro
and new developers to come on board. I will try to take a stab at an
index of extensions tonight.

Thanks also to Tim for some nice screencasts!

Cheers,
-Geoff


Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It’s the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php


Avogadro-devel mailing list
Avogadro-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/avogadro-devel

Benoît Jacob wrote:

I think that bug 1984080 is a blocker.

Unless, of course, it is just a local problem on my particular setup.

As far as I can tell this does seem to be some kind of local issue but I
would like to figure out what is causing it. A nice side effect was that
I was able to fix the bug where the Add Engine dialog was adding a
somewhat random (as in not what you asked for or what it is labeled as)
engine. I also just spotted that the ribbon engine had stopped working
and have fixed that issue.

It looks like our translations will be improving too. I think that this
is an ideal time to release. As far as I am aware we do not need a new
OpenBabel release but some of the bugs fixed have been fixed in
OpenBabel. So without a new snapshot our next release will miss out on
those fixes.

Now that it looks like we have fixed most of the outstanding bugs I
would like to tag Avogadro 0.8.1 on Friday morning (EST). I think this
release is a big step forward and through Kalzium porting and feedback
from users we have been able to fix a lot of bugs in a very short period
of time.

Hopefully packages for the new release can be made over the weekend.
Please let me know if there are further bugs you feel require attention
before tagging. I will try to spend some time on adding to the tutorials
on the wiki assuming there aren’t any big bugs left to track down.

Thanks,

Marcus

On Thursday 05 June 2008 04:30:24 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:

Benoît Jacob wrote:

I think that bug 1984080 is a blocker.

Unless, of course, it is just a local problem on my particular setup.

As far as I can tell this does seem to be some kind of local issue but I
would like to figure out what is causing it.

Apparently you haven’t yet received the email from the sourceforge bug
tracker? I have closed by bug report as invalid as indeed it was just stale
files in my src dir (tricky! i am not used to setups where in-source build is
allowed so i wasn’t looking for stale files in srcdir.)

Benoit

A nice side effect was that
I was able to fix the bug where the Add Engine dialog was adding a
somewhat random (as in not what you asked for or what it is labeled as)
engine. I also just spotted that the ribbon engine had stopped working
and have fixed that issue.

It looks like our translations will be improving too. I think that this
is an ideal time to release. As far as I am aware we do not need a new
OpenBabel release but some of the bugs fixed have been fixed in
OpenBabel. So without a new snapshot our next release will miss out on
those fixes.

Now that it looks like we have fixed most of the outstanding bugs I
would like to tag Avogadro 0.8.1 on Friday morning (EST). I think this
release is a big step forward and through Kalzium porting and feedback
from users we have been able to fix a lot of bugs in a very short period
of time.

Hopefully packages for the new release can be made over the weekend.
Please let me know if there are further bugs you feel require attention
before tagging. I will try to spend some time on adding to the tutorials
on the wiki assuming there aren’t any big bugs left to track down.

Thanks,

Marcus