Push for 1.0.1 Release

I’d like to really push for a 1.0.1 release “real soon now.” I just merged in about 10-12 fixes from the development trees into my (and cryos) 1.0 branch. I’m also pulling the latest translations from Launchpad.

But we have almost 50 bugs. If people have fixed some of these in trunk, let’s close the bug report. If it’s a bug in Open Babel, please assign it to me, and mark as “Open Babel” and I’ll transfer it to their tracker.

IMHO, we should try to get a 1.0.1 release out before issuing any new 1.1 development branch releases.

Cheers,
-Geoff

I’d like to really push for a 1.0.1 release “real soon now.”

I propose to backport into 1.0.1 two things I’ve made recently.

1. File avogadro.prf for 3rd party development with QMake. With this file installed, it’s really easy to get started: generate project file with qmake, than add COFIG+=qt avogadro, and run make! I’ve added information about QMake to wiki. One notable feature of QMake building is easy cross-compilation (I’ve cross-compiled one qmake project several times, but with CMake it’s a pain, FindQt4 works awfully)

2. Avopkg tool (I also want some feedback on it - I wrote to mailing list but no answers were given). It’s shell script which allows to install 3rd party extensions with one click or one command.
    a) Avogadro plugins seem to be very portable across Linux distros (will check it additionally today)
    b) It surely may be used to distribute Python extension which are cross-platform
    c) It may be suitable for Mac with minor changes
    d) It might be adopted for Windows (using MSYS or translated it into .bat)

But we have almost 50 bugs. If people have fixed some of these in trunk, let’s close the bug report. If it’s a bug in Open Babel, please assign it to me, and mark as “Open Babel” and I’ll transfer it to their tracker.
IMHO, we should try to get a 1.0.1 release out before issuing any new 1.1 development branch releases.
Cheers,
-Geoff

Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

Avogadro-devel mailing list
Avogadro-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
avogadro-devel List Signup and Options

Regards,
Konstantin

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 06:55:18PM -0500, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:

I’d like to really push for a 1.0.1 release “real soon now.” I just merged in about 10-12 fixes from the development trees into my (and cryos) 1.0 branch. I’m also pulling the latest translations from Launchpad.

Is 1.0.1 targetting openbabel-2.3 or 2.2? #2953568 for example is only
fixed on OB trunk, as far as I know.

Michael

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 06:55:18PM -0500, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:

Maybe it’s worth to release 2.2.4 with some backports from trunk?

Regards,
Konstantin

On Mar 10, 2010, at 6:37 AM, Michael Banck wrote:

There is currently no public release of openbabel-2.3, particularly since it shows regressions on InChI generation. Since OB will break ABI again with the 2.3 release, it’s not a good idea for Avogadro 1.0.x to rely on it.

Cheers,
-Geoff

There is currently no public release of openbabel-2.3, particularly since it shows regressions on InChI generation. Since OB will break ABI again with the 2.3 release, it’s not a good idea for Avogadro 1.0.x to rely on it.

I think OB-2.2.4 is needed (or at least 2.2.3.1 to designate minor changes :slight_smile:
Personally I and several my colleagues are interested in support for PCGamess, it’s very simple patch changing one line in code

Regards,
Konstantin

On Mar 10, 2010, at 6:41 AM, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

Maybe it’s worth to release 2.2.4 with some backports from trunk?

I’ve never reproduced this on Mac, either through Babel or Avogadro. I’ll test today.

-Geoff