Disappearing Charges

Hello!

I am currently trying to make a molecule with a nitro group. I figured out how to put charges on my nitrogen and on my single bonded oxygen, but the problem is when I go to make a GAMESS input file. My single bonded oxygen becomes double bonded and I loss my charges. (The extra bond could just be a proximity bond so that is not a major concern.) Is there a way to keep my charges? Also, anytime I try to manipulate the .inp file directly the same thing happens. Any thoughts?

I am currently trying to make a molecule with a nitro group. I figured out how to put charges on my nitrogen and on my single bonded oxygen, but the problem is when I go to make a GAMESS input file. My single bonded oxygen becomes double bonded and I loss my charges.

First off, the normal way to indicate a nitro has two doubly-bonded oxygens to the nitrogen and no formal charges.

(The extra bond could just be a proximity bond so that is not a major concern.) Is there a way to keep my charges? Also, anytime I try to manipulate the .inp file directly the same thing happens. Any thoughts?

What exactly do you want as far as charges? Quantum Mechanics does not have formal charges, and so GAMESS is not going to keep your charges in the .inp file. Why do you want them?

Thanks and best regards,
-Geoff

Prof. Geoffrey Hutchison
Department of Chemistry
University of Pittsburgh
tel: (412) 648-0492
email: geoff.hutchison@gmail.com
web: http://hutchison.chem.pitt.edu/