About Avogadro 1.1.0 and Wiimote plugins?

Currently, we are working to close the project for December : we translate our website, verify the compilation process, prepare some poster …
A big update will release on the gerrit server the next week (so if we can have some feedback to fix bugs).

Great, I’m glad to hear about the big update – maybe you can also comment on Gary’s message to the list about Wiimote + AutoOpt?

One of the things which would most help review is if you can sometimes use the interactive “git rebase -i” to consolidate some commits.

For example, right now the wmavo2.0 branch has these commits as separate items for review:
Add banner
Update INSTALL file.
Add requirements in INSTALL file.
Add the WmAvo directory. Previously not include because a .git directory present
Delete to reload a directory
Update
Add files.
Wmavo plugins are integrated in the Avogadro compilation process. BUT no test ar

Now, this looks a lot like some of my quick git commit messages. :slight_smile: But If you run “git rebase -i” on the branch, you can do something like this:

git rebase -i HEAD~8 # take the last 8 commits for rebasing

Now inside the editor (vi, emacs, whatever) you will see something like this:

pick 3a8ee91 Add a search filter for file and dir names.
pick 3e43a66 Add new action to insert crystals.

Rebase d0b31a7…3e43a66 onto d0b31a7

Commands:

p, pick = use commit

r, reword = use commit, but edit the commit message

e, edit = use commit, but stop for amending

s, squash = use commit, but meld into previous commit

f, fixup = like “squash”, but discard this commit’s log message

x , exec = Run a shell command , and stop if it fails

If you remove a line here THAT COMMIT WILL BE LOST.

However, if you remove everything, the rebase will be aborted.

So I change the first commit to “r” instead of “pick” to change the message, and the second commit I use “f” to squash the 2 commits into one, and remove the commit message from the 2nd. I then get a new editor to rewrite the commit message however I want.

This process makes it easy to get rid of minor commits like “Add files / Update / Delete” and make one or two major changes for review.

Hope that helps,
-Geoff

Prof. Geoffrey Hutchison
Department of Chemistry
University of Pittsburgh
tel: (412) 648-0492
email: geoff.hutchison@gmail.com
web: http://hutchison.chem.pitt.edu/